Different Types of Filler

Filling in holes is one of the more common DIY exploits, especially when preparing walls for wallpapering or painting.  There are many types available, each with its own specialist properties for a certain job.  Generally, they will come either pre-mixed or in powder form, with the latter being the cheaper option.  Here are some types of filler and their uses:

•    All-Purpose Filler – What it says on the tin.  This filler is suitable for most smaller-sized holes in most surfaces and would be your best bet if you didn’t want to buy many types of filler.
•    Exterior Filler – Specifically designed for the outdoors, this filler is suitable for cracks in masonry, render or concrete.  It will usually dry to a grey finish rather than the usual white.
•    Foam Filler – Cleverly, foam filler will expand to many times its size to completely plug holes, usually where pipes have been fed through walls.
•    Paste Filler – For cracks up to around 3mm thick, paste filler comes pre-mixed and can also be used for wood and in shallow wall dents.
•    Plaster Repair Filler – This is used for large holes in walls and should be applied in layers rather than all at once, with time allowed for each layer to dry before re-applying.
•    Polyester-based Metal Filler – Holes in metal objects will need this filler, but be warned: it will set within five minutes so be sure of your actions.
•    Wood Filler – This comes in wood colours to aid varnishing and is used to fill nail holes and other cracks.

Leave a Reply